Self Introduction Letter

Subject: Self Introduction Letter

Dear Professor Brad,

I am Marcus Leung, a year one student from your effective communication class. I hope that my self-introduction letter helps you have a better grasp of who I am. I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a diploma in mechanical engineering and I am now pursuing my bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering. I developed interest in mechanical engineering since my secondary school days where I have designed and built a scaled down bus stop model for my Design and Technology ‘O’ Level project. I was offered the option to intern at Eagle Service Asia, an aerospace firm, where I received valuable hands-on experiences and skill sets in this interesting field, learning much about what goes on inside an aircraft engine.

One of my communication talents would be the opportunity to break the ice with individuals from varied backgrounds, learning more about their lives through conversations and sharing what I have learned from my past experiences. Just as when I was in polytechnic and had to work on projects with strangers, I had to convey my opinions and ideas based on my expertise. As I learn to enhance my communication abilities, I would gradually seek out comments and critiques.

On the other hand, public speaking is my worst fear in terms of communication. Despite numerous practices, I would fumble and my mind would go absolutely blank, forgetting the contents needed to be conveyed. Worse, the complete quiet in the environment caused me to shiver and get butterflies. One hurdle to doing successfully in public speaking would be my lack of confidence.

I would like to enhance and brush up on my public speaking abilities so that I can deliver a presentation without using slides and be a more confident and appealing speaker. Moreover, I want to be more provision in my writing language skills with the aid of materials and skills being taught in class.

Finally, what distinguishes me from others is my readiness to provide a helping hand to my peers whenever they require assistance, since I believe that no one should be treated unfairly.

Thank you for taking time to read my letter. I am looking forward to learning more and steadily better myself in your class.

Warmest regards,

Marcus

Comments

  1. Hi Marcus. Thank you for introduction. I am fascinated that you have designed and scaled down bus stop model for your 'O' level project. I hope that you will become more confident in yourself when you are speaking in the public.

    Here are some points you can improve your letter.

    On line 3 of paragraph 1, it should be and I am now pursuing my bachelor's degree instead of "and am pursuing my bachelor's degree".

    On line 4 of paragraph 1, it should be I gain interest in mechanical engineering instead of "I gainer interest in mechanical engineering".


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen Teing,

      Thank you for the wonderful comments, deeply appreciated it.

      Regards,
      Marcus

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Marcus,

    Thank you for this richly detailed letter. It's clear, articulate and highly informative. You do a fine job addressing the assignment brief as you share your educational background and internship experience at Eagle Service Asia as well as your skill levels and needs in terms of communication. These are all skills that we will be focusing on in the coming weeks.

    It's also interesting to learn about your generous willingness to help others. Kudos to you!

    As mentioned, this letter is fluent, though there is one language issue to take note of in terms of sentence structure:
    -- Moreover, to be provision in writing technical reports with the aid of materials and skills being taught in class. > (fragment) ?
    -- Looking forward to learning more and steadily better myself in your class. > (fragment) ?

    I look forward to reading more from you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Professor Brad,

      Thank you for taking time to read my introductory letter. I am grateful for the comments made and I would improve on my writing.

      Best Regards,
      Marcus

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts